Awaba ceased operating as a producing mine in early 2012, ending over 60 years of underground coal mining in the Great Northern Seam at the Lake Macquarie site.
The mine has made a significant contribution to the local community over the past 60 years. Awaba was originally state owned, and began operating in 1947 supplying coal to Wangi Wangi Power Station for state-wide electricity generation. In 2002, Centennial Coal purchased the mine and over the past nine years the Company broadened Awaba’s domestic focus to include coal exports.
With coal reserves exhausted in the Great Northern Seam in this area, mining ceased; however, the pit top infrastructure will continue to be used as a service facility for the Newstan site.
For information regarding the ongoing use of Awaba pit top facilities, please go to the Newstan Extension Project page or click here.