Myuna is an underground coal mine located in Wangi Wangi, Lake Macquarie in the Newcastle Coalfields, approximately 25 kilometres south-west of Newcastle.
In January 2012, Myuna received Project Approval for the continuation of mining until 31 December 2032.
This approval extends mining and coal handling at Myuna within the lease area and proposes to:
- mine using bord and pillar mining methods in the Wallarah, Great Northern, and Fassifern seams in CCL762 and ML1370;
- produce, handle and distribute to Eraring Power Station, up to 2 million tonnes per annum (Mtpa) using existing infrastructure;
- continue the use of ancillary infrastructure and service;
- upgrade the water management system; and
- rehabilitate the surface facilities within 5 years of completion of mining.
Myuna had an excellent year in 2011 achieving new production records. Myuna places a large amount of emphasis on safety and environmental improvements. At the 2011 Centennial Coal Health Safety Environment and Community Innovation Conference Myuna was awarded both the Judges and Peoples First Place Award.
The mine prides itself in maintaining strong partnerships with local community groups in Wangi Wangi. An example of our ongoing sponsorships include:
- Wangi Lions Club and the Dobell Arts and Craft Festival
- Wangi RSL Amateur Sailing Club and the Australia Day Regatta
- Macquarie Scorpions Rugby League Club
- Rotary Club of Toronto Lake Macquarie Paddlefest
- Toronto Ladies Golf Club
- Morisset and Toronto Meals on Wheels